It taken me a while this year, thanks to my recent obsession with sweet potatoes, but pumpkin has finally made an appearance in my Cocina. I just couldn't resist a rather large calabaza de castilla (pumpkin) I saw at el mercado (the market) a couple of weeks ago. As soon as I got that baby home, I cut it up, set aside the seeds to make Pepitas (roasted pumpkin seeds), and put it on the stove to cook. I ended up with about 12 cups of pumpkin puree to do with as my heart desired. And my heart has been desiring all kinds of yummy pumpkin dishes ever since.
Aside from making my usual favorites like pumpkin bread and pumpkin pie, I have been stirring pumpkin puree into just about everything; smoothies, tres leches cake (stay tuned for that recipe), Arroz con Leche (rice pudding), and even enchilada sauce. Yes, enchilada sauce! And it was AMAZING! It knocked all of our socks off. My hubby said it's the best enchilada sauce I've ever made. We loved the pumpkin enchiladas so much, I've already made them twice this month. And they'll probably make another appearance at our table before the month is through.
The pumpkin adds a luxurious velvety texture to the sauce, and the spices (cinnamon, clove, cumin, and paprika) add a hearty robust flavor to the spicy and smoky dried chilies. And the color is absolutely gorgeous!
Pumpkin Chicken Enchiladas
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 medium onion, cut in half
- 1 clove garlic
- 3 dried ancho chilies
- 1 dried guajillo chile
- 1-1/2 cups pumpkin puree (unsweetened)
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/8 teaspoon ground clove
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 12 to 16 flour tortillas
- Queso fresco, crumbled
- Thinly sliced red onion, for garnish
- Mexican crema
Cook the chicken breasts with half of the onion, the garlic clove, a couple sprigs of cilantro, salt, and enough water to completely cover the chicken. Once the chicken is completely cooked, remove from heat and let cool slightly; shred or chop the chicken.
While the chicken is cooking, prepare the Pumpkin Enchilada Sauce. Bring the dried chilies to a boil in a medium saucepan with 2 cups of water. Remove from heat and let cool slightly. Remove the stems and seeds from the chilies. In a blender, puree the chilies with the water they were cooked in and the pumpkin puree until smooth. Pour the pureed sauce into the same saucepan the chilies were cooked in. If the sauce is too thick, add a little water, 1/4 cup at a time, until desired consistency. Season the sauce with salt, ground cinnamon, paprika, ground cumin, ground cloves, salt and black pepper, adding more spices (if necessary) to fit your taste; set aside.
Finely chop the remaining half of onion. Heat 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the chopped onion and saute for about 1 minute. Stir in the shredded chicken, 1 cup of the Pumpkin Enchilada Sauce, and the 1 cup of chicken broth. Cook until heated through.
Now to make the enchiladas. Preheat oven to 350°F. Ladle 1/3 cup of the Pumpkin Enchilada Sauce into an 8 or 9-inch square baking dish. Heat the flour tortillas until soft and pliable. Spoon about 3 tablespoons of the chicken down the center of each tortilla and 1 to 2 tablespoons of queso fresco. Roll tortilla up like a burrito and place seam side down in the baking dish. Top first layer of enchiladas with half of the Pumpkin Enchilada Sauce and about 1/2 cup of crumbled queso fresco. Repeat with a second layer of enchiladas.
Bake enchiladas in oven for about 30 minutes. Remove from oven. Top enchiladas with Mexican crema and garnish with sliced red onion and finely chopped cilantro. Serve with Refried Beans and Mexican Rice. Enjoy!
For more delicious Winter Squash recipes, check out what my #SundaySupper friends have cooked up this week...
Breakfasts and Breads
- Maple Butternut Squash Donuts from Mess Makes Food
- Pumpkin Sweet Rolls from Basic N Delicious
- Vegan Pumpkin Scones with Maple Nutmeg Icing from Killer Bunnies, Inc
Appetizers, Starters, and Condiments
- Butternut Squash and Couscous Patties-Indian Inspired from Soni's Food
- Pumpkin Hummus with Spiced Lamb from girlichef
- Quick Pumpkin Butter from Shockingly Delicious
Soups, Sandwiches, and Salads
- Black Bean and Butternut Squash Chili from Supper for a Steal
- Black Bean Pumpkin Soup from What Smells So Good?
- Butternut Squash and Bacon Grilled Cheese from Ruffles & Truffles
- Butternut Squash Soup from That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Hearty Quinoa Chicken Stew with Butternut Squash from Citronlimette
- Roasted Buttercup Squash and Black Bean Soup (Dairy free) from The Not So Cheesy Kitchen
- Roasted Butternut Squash and Vegetable Soup from Kudos Kitchen By Renee
- Roasted Squash and Mexican Black Bean Salad from Peanut Butter and Peppers
- Roasted Squash and Sesame Noodle Salad from Jane's Adventures in Dinner
- Butternut Squash and Spinach Quesadillas from The Dinner-Mom
- Butternut Squash Gnocchi with Balsamic Brown Butter from Crazy Foodie Stunts
- Butternut Squash Lasagna from Hip Foodie Mom
- Butternut Squash-Sage Cream Sauce with Sausage Spaghetti from Daily Dish Recipes
- Carnival Squash with Maple Sausage Stuffing from Cindy's Recipes and Writings
- Chorizo-Stuffed Acorn Squash from Small Wallet Big Appetite
- Butternut Squash with Spicy Wild Rice and Queso Fresco from Vintage Kitchen Notes
- Pumpkin Alfredo from Hezzi-D's Books and Cooks
- Pumpkin Enchiladas from La Cocina de Leslie
- Pumpkin Risotto with Bacon, Goat Cheese, and Pecans from The Weekend Gourmet
- Roasted Butternut Squash and Brussels Sprout Pizza from Curious Cuisiniere
- Sausage and Apple Stuffed Acorn Squash from The Messy Baker
- Spaghetti Squash in a Creamy Sausage Sauce from Cookin' Mimi
- Spaghetti Squash Shrimp Scampi from Pescetarian Journal
- Acorn Squash with Cinnamon and Cranberries from Noshing With The Nolands
- Butternut Squash and Apple Crumble from The Wimpy Vegetarian
- Butternut Squash Gratin with Sage Pesto & Gorgonzola from Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Chorizo and Craisin Stuffed Acorn Squash from Family Foodie
- Parmesan-Roasted Acorn Squash from The Urban Mrs
- Pumpkin Macaroni and Cheese from Big Bear's Wife
- Roasted Butternut Squash with Balsamic Vinegar Honey Butter from Food Lust People Love
- Roasted Butternut Squash with Wilted Kale, Mushrooms and Garlic from Take a Bite Out of Boca
- Skillet Buttercup Squash with Bacon from Magnolia Days
- Slow Cooker Squash and Apples from Mama's Blissful Bites
- Sweet N Spicy Baked Chipotle Butternut Squash Fries from Sue's Nutrition Buzz
- Twice Baked Pumpkin Stuffed Sweet Potatoes from Bobbi's Kozy Kitchen
- Butternut Squash Cupcakes with Browned Butter Frosting from Treats & Trinkets
- Pumpkin Pie Crumb Bars from Pies and Plots
Wine Pairing Recommendations for Squashin' Winter #SundaySupper from Enofylz Wine Blog
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. Check out our #SundaySupper Pinterest board for more fabulous recipes and food photos. Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.