Aside from coffee, my one guilty pleasure that I could never give up is chocolate, Mexican Chocolate to be exact. It can be used for so much more than just Mexican Hot Chocolate and Mole Dulce. One of my new favorite ways to enjoy sweet, cinnamon scented Mexican chocolate is in this Mexican Chocolate Coffee Cake. The cake is tender, and melt-in-your-mouth buttery delicious.
Mexican Chocolate Coffee Cake
(recipe adapted from The Back in the Day Bakery cookbook)
- 1 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon white vinegar
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup light brown sugar
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup chopped pecans
- 1 disk Mexican Chocolate, coarsely chopped (I use Abuelita brand)
Preheat oven to 350°F. Generously grease a 9-inch square baking dish with butter.
Combine the milk and vinegar; set aside.
In a large mixing bowl, mix together the flour, brown sugar, granulated sugar, butter, and salt with an electric mixer on medium speed until the mixture resembles fine crumbs. Remove 3/4 cup of the crumb mixture and set aside. Stir in the Mexican chocolate and pecans in the 3/4 cup of crumb mixture; set aside until ready to use. Add the baking soda, milk, egg, and vanilla to the remaining crumb mixture beating on medium speed until just combined.
Pour batter into prepared pan. Sprinkle the reserved crumb topping on top of batter. Bake at 350°F for 35 to 40 minutes until golden brown and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool in pan for atleast 10 to 15 minutes before serving. Serve with Cafe con Leche. Enjoy!
Now be sure to check out the delicious collection of Fat Sunday-inspired recipes from my #SundaySupper friends...
Cocktails & Other Beverages:
- The Hurricane Cocktail Recipe from An Appealing Plan
- The French 75 from Kimchi MOM
- Sweet Potato Pie Smoothie from Peanut Butter and Peppers
- Fried Oysters and Remoulade from Jane's Adventures in Dinner
- Shrimp in Mustard Sauce from Noshing With The Nolands
- Mini Sweet Potato Pies from MealDiva
- Cajun Crab Beignets from Delaware Girl Eats
- Pancetta and Mushroom Arancini from Ruffles & Truffles
- Creole Shrimp Po Boy Recipe from Small Wallet, Big Appetite
- Chicken and Sausage Gumbo from Supper for a Steal
- Sausage & Shrimp Jambalaya from Yours And Mind Are Ours
- Vegan Pizza Waffles from Killer Bunnies, Inc.
- Red Beans and Rice from Cookin' Mimi
- Baked Catfish Po'Boy from Curious Cuisiniere
- Muffaletta from Casa de Crews
- Bayou Seafood and Andouille Jambalaya from The Weekend Gourmet
- Seafood Gumbo from Take A Bite Out of Boca
- Cajun Rice & Beans from Momma's Meals
- Creole Celery Root Bisque (with Lobster) from The Wimpy Vegetarian
- Louisiana Roasted Barbecue Shrimp from Food Lust People Love
- Cajun Dirty Rice Bowls from The Dinner-Mom
- New Orleans Fried Chicken from Family Foodie
- Baked Endive and Pears in Blue Cream Sauce from Shockingly Delicious
- Okra Creole from Cindy's Recipes and Writings
- Banana Creme Pie with Honey Whipped Cream and Pecan Brittle from The Foodie Patootie
- Chocolate Ganache Tart from Melanie Makes
- Banana Bread Pudding from Gotta Get Baked
- Delicious Saffron Baked Beignets from A Kitchen Hoor's Adventures
- New Orleans Bread Pudding with Caramel Whiskey Sauce from La Bella Vita Cucina
- Polish Paczki from Cravings of a Lunatic
- Buttermilk Beignets from The Messy Baker
- Eggless Bread Pudding in a Jar from What Smells So Good?
- Mint Julep Bars from The Girl In The Little Red Kitchen
- Mardi Gras Cupcakes w/ Cinnamon Frostingfrom Hezzi-D's Books and Cooks
- Mardi Gras Long Johns from Kudos Kitchen by Renee
- Mexican Chocolate Coffee Cake from La Cocina de Leslie
- Fasnetküchle from The Not So Cheesy Kitchen
- Cheesecake Swirl Brownies from That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Pecan and Chocolate Pralines from Desserts Required
- Chocolate Raspberry Cake from Clarks Condensed
- Baked Coconut Beignets from Mess Makes Food
- Ravioli dolci di Carnevale from Manu's Menu
- Strawberry Paczki from Neighborfood
- Blackberry Fritters from girlichef
- Brownie Chocolate Chip Cheesecake from Magnolia Days
- Flourless Chocolate Cake in a Mug w/ Coconut Cream from Sue's Nutrition Buzz
- Pecan Bars from Pies and Plots
- "Skinny Tuesday" Bananas Foster Cheesecake Parfaits from Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Mocha Pear Cake from Happy Baking Days
- Skinny Baked Beignets from Daily Dish Recipes
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. Check out our #SundaySupper Pinterest board for more fabulous recipes and food photos. Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.
*This post contains an affiliate link.
*This post contains an affiliate link.