Like the very popular Pastel de Tres Leches (Three Milks Cake) these Tres Leches Pancakes are bathed in a combination of sweetened condensed milk, evaporated milk, and regular milk. That's three different kinds of milk, hence the name Tres Leches (three milks).
The idea for these pancakes came to mind after learning that my sis-in-law uses pancake mix to make her super delicious Tres Leches Cake. I figured if she could make a Tres Leches cake with pancake batter, then I could make Tres Leches pancakes too. Of course, they were a HUGE hit with Hubby and the kiddies. But sometime in the course of the last 7 or so years, I've switched from using my favorite pancake mix to using a box of cake mix. That is after all what I usually use when I want to satisfy my craving for a Tres Leches cake and I really wanted my Tres Leches Pancakes to taste like my favorite cake.
I prefer to use French Vanilla cake mix, but a plain yellow cake mix will work too!
What breakfast foods do you like to have for dinner?
Tres Leches Pancakes
- 1 box French Vanilla cake mix
- 3 eggs
- 1-1/3 cups milk
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 can (14 oz.) sweetened condensed milk
- 1 can (12 oz.) evaporated milk
- 1/2 cup milk or half-and-half
- Fresh strawberries (optional)
- Prepare the pancake batter by mixing together the cake mix with the 1-1/3 cups milk, 3 eggs, and 3 tablespoons of vegetable oil; set aside. (The batter might seem thin, but will thicken while standing.)
- In a medium bowl make the Tres Leches mixture by combining the sweetened condensed milk, evaporated milk, and 1/2 cup regular milk; set aside. (You can also use half-and-half.)
- Heat 1 tablespoon butter or vegetable oil in a non-stick skillet over very low heat. Ladle about 1/3 cup of batter into center of skillet. Let cook for 3 to 4 minutes or until golden brown. (Check pancakes for doneness after 2 minutes, because these pancakes brown quickly!)
- With a spatula, CAREFULLY flip the pancake over and continue to cook until golden brown. Transfer pancake to heatproof platter. Continue with remaining batter.
- To serve...stack the pancakes one at a time, spooning 3 to 4 tablespoons of the Tres Leches mixture over each pancake. Garnish with sliced strawberries. Enjoy!
For more Breakfast for Dinner ideas, check out what my #SundaySupper friends cooked up this week.
- Tres Leches Pancakes from La Cocina de Leslie
- French Toast Casserole with Sautéed Apples from The Foodie Army Wife
- Gluten Free Breakfast Pizza from Blueberries And Blessings
- Basic Vegan Waffles from Killer Bunnies, Inc
- Kale, Bacon, Brown Rice Crustless Quiche from Shockingly Delicious
- Bacon Egg and Potato Breakfast Tacos from Cookin’ Mimi
- Steak and Egg Tostadas from The Girl In The Little Red Kitchen
- Breakfast Bowls from Jane’s Adventures in Dinner
- Bacon and Egg Waffles from The Urban Mrs
- Homemade Lox from Growing Up Gabel
- Seattle Sandwiches (Lox, Shmear, & A Fried Egg) from Juanita’s Cocina
- Bacon & Brie Potato Bread Strata with Roasted Pears from Eat, Move, Shine
- Saucy Ham and Cheese Breakfast Sliders from Daily Dish Recipes
- Greek Frittata from Casa de Crews
- Elderberry Flower Pancakes from Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Prosciutto, Gorgonzola and Rosemary Strata from That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Italian Turkey Meatballs (With a Secret) from What Smells So Good?
- Bacon, Spinach and Tomato Breakfast Pizza from Runner’s Tales
- Red Pepper and Egg Galette from Healthy. Delicious.
- Waffles – One Plate, Two Ways: Sweet & Savory from Foxes Love Lemons
- Steak & Egg Bagel Sandwich from girlichef
- Florentine Benedict from Supper for a Steal
- Oatmeal Ice Cream from Treats & Trinkets
- Banana Waffles with Peanut Butter Syrup from A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Baked Berry French Toast from Table For Seven
- Open Faced BTC Sandwich from Peanut Butter and Peppers
- Crustless Spinach Quiche from The Hand That Rocks The Ladle
- Bacon ‘n Eggs Bread Pudding from gotta get baked
- Denver Breakfast Ring from Curious Cuisiniere
- Copycat Japanese McDonald’s from Ninja Baking
- One Pan Full English Fry-up from Food Lust People Love
- Crumpets with Whipped Orange Honey from Kudos Kitchen by Renee
- Leek, Mushroom and Gruyère Quiche from Hip Foodie Mom
- Joe’s Special, the Original San Francisco Treat from Webicurean
- Dark Chocolate, Orange & Pistachio Greek Yogurt Cups from Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Gluten Free Tomato Basil Crepes form No One Likes Crumbley Cookies
- Sour Cherry Crisp from Pies and Plots
- Cream Dried Beef and Waffles from Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Sausage breakfast casserole from My cute bride
- Almond Rice Crepes Stuffed With Sweet Potatoes & Peas from Sue’s Nutrition Buzz
- Zucchini Pancakes with Sautéed Tomatoes and Feta from Ruffles & Truffles
- Apple, Bacon, and Dubliner Cheese Stuffed French Toast from Neighborfood
- Dulce de Leche Stuffed French Toast from Basic N Delicious
- Hangtown Fry and Wine Pairings with Breakfast for Dinner from ENOFYLZ Wine Blog
Thank you to The Foodie Army Wife for hosting this week's #SundaySupper Breakfast for Dinner party. Join the #SundaySupper conversation on Twitter each Sunday. We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm EST. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. Check out our #SundaySupper Pinterest board for more fabulous recipes and food photos. Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here → Sunday Supper Movement.