These hot dogs get their name not because this is how they're served in Hawaii, but because they're topped with a spicy pineapple salsa. Served atop bacon-wrapped salchichas (hot dog sausages) topped with a smoky Chipotle Ketchup, the pineapple salsa is what brings all the flavors together for a super tasty hot dog that is perfect for a summer cook-out.
On a side note, while writing out this recipe, I wasn't sure what to call the hot dog sausages. Here in Mexico we call them salchichas. And when I was growing up in the States, my grandparents always referred to them as weenies. I could have used the words franks or wieners, but it just didn't feel right because I never call them that. So I'm curious...What word do you use for hot dog sausages?
Hawaiian Hot Dogs w/ Pineapple Salsa
For the salsa:
- 1 fresh pineapple, peeled, cored, and finely chopped
- 1/2 medium red onion, sliced or chopped
- 2 serrano chilies, seeds removed and finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
For the hot dogs:
- 12 salchichas (hot dog sausages) (beef, pork, or turkey)
- 12 slices bacon
- 12 hot dog buns
- Mayonnaise or Mexican crema
- Chipotle Ketchup* (recipe below)
For the salsa: In a medium bowl, combine the fresh pineapple with the red onion, serrano chilies, and cilantro: season with salt. Cover salsa and refrigerate until ready to use.
For the hot dogs: Wrap the salchichas in bacon. Grill the hot dogs over a medium-low flame or fry them in a non-stick skillet over medium low heat, until the bacon is fully cooked.
To serve, split open hot dog buns and lightly toast on the grill (or on a comal/griddle on the stove) over a low flame. Spread cut sides of buns with mayo or Mexican crema. Serve bacon-wrapped hot dogs in buns. Top with Chipotle Ketchup and lots of pineapple salsa. Enjoy!!!
*For the Chipotle Ketchup: Puree 1 cup ketchup with 1 to 2 chipotle peppers in adobo.
For more delicious Summer BBQ recipes, take a look at what the #SundaySupper crew has cooked up this week:
Hot Off the Grill:
- Best Grilled Pork Chops by Hezzi-D's Books & Cooks
- Bleu Cheese Burgers by Juanita's Cocina
- Korean Grilled Flank Steak by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Swedish Blonde Burgers by Eat, Move, Shine
- Hawaiian Hot Dogs by La Cocina De Leslie
- BBQing the Whole Hog, Cuban Style by Webicurean
- Meat Stuffed Jalapenos by The Urban Mrs
- St. Louis Ribs by Bobbi's Kozy Kitchen
- Fish Kebabs with Mint Chutney by Soni's Food
- Jalapeno Bacon Burgers by Cookin' Mimi
- Cheddar Cheese Stuffed Bacon Burgers by In the Kitchen with KP
- Curried Pork Sliders with Peanut Sauce & Apple Slaw by Foxes Love Lemons
- Grilled Prosciutto Wrapped Chicken Breasts by Sustainable Dad
- Ditch Dogs by Daily Dish Recipes
- Bison Kabobs by Noshing With The Nolands
- Spicy Baked Beans by The Messy Baker
- Wisconsin Roasted Corn by Curious Cuisiniere
- German Potato Salad by The Foodie Army Wife
- Grilled Baby Potatoes With Peppers And Onions by Kudos Kitchen by Renee
- Sausage Potato Salad by girlichef
- Lightened Up Fully Loaded Baked Potato Salad by Peanut Butter and Peppers
- Homemade Mustards by A Stack of Dishes
- Spicy Grilled Corn Salad by Magnolia Days
- Layered California Pasta Salad by The Weekend Gourmet
- Grilled Potato Salad by In Fine Balance
- Spicy Bacon and Corn Salad by Hip Foodie Mom
- Three Corns with Japanese Accents by Ninja Baking
- Cucumber Bruschetta by Healthy. Delicious.
- Grilled Zucchini by Supper for a Steal
- Chicken Spinach & Pasta Salad by Family Foodie
- Red, White & Blue Parfait by Country Girl in the Village
- Root Beer Float Sandwich Cookies by Chocolate Moosey
- Gluten Free Brownies by Blueberries & Blessings
- Grilled Stone Fruit Parfait by Pescetarian Journal
- Blueberry Sorbet by Shockingly Delicious
- Strawberry Lemonade Cupcakes by The Girl in the Little Red Kitchen
- Tres Leches Cake by Happy Baking Days
- Beach Cupcakes by The Little Ferraro Kitchen
- Grilled Banana Dessert Bar by Home Cooking Memories
- Berries & Cream Pie by Treats & Trinkets
- Raspberry Lemonade Frozen Yogurt Pops by Runner's Tales
- More S'mores by Growing Up Gabel
- Blackberry Peach Cobbler by Neighborfood
- Cornbread Cookies by Pies & Plots
- Funfetti Fluff Cheerio Treats by What Smells So Good?
- Pineapple Pudding by Granny's Down Home Sassy Southern Cooking
- Cherry Caipiroska by Vintage Kitchen Notes
- Mint Tea Slushes by Cindy's Recipes and Writing
- Prickly Pear Margaritas by Ruffles & Truffles
A big THANK YOU to Jennie from The Messy Baker for hosting this week's Summer BBQ Party for #SundaySupper. And as always, be sure to join our #SundaySupper chat on Twitter starting at 7:00 pm EST. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag throughout the day to see the amazing recipes. We look forward to seeing you. To join all you need to do is follow the#SundaySupper hashtag and share your favorite tips and recipes. Be sure to check out our #SundaySupper Pinterest board for more delicious recipes and photos.