- 2 tablespoons vegetable or olive oil
- 4 large bell peppers, thinly sliced
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1-1/2 pounds thin-cut beef steak, cut in strips
- 6 bolillo rolls, cut in half lenghtwise
- 2 cups Refried beans (homemade or canned)
- 2 cups shredded Manchego cheese
Heat 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil in a large skillet, over high heat. Add the sliced bell pepper and onion; saute for 2 to 3 minutes. Stir in the minced garlic and saute for an additional 30 seconds. Add the thin-cut beef steak; season generously with salt and pepper. Saute the meat until no longer pink. Cover the skillet and reduce heat to low. Let simmer until all of the juices from the meat have been absorbed and the meat is tender.
While the meat is cooking, heat the refried beans in a small saucepan; set aside. Spread the bolillo slices with Refried Beans. Spoon meat and bell pepper mixture on top of the refried beans. Top each mollete with cheese. Arrange the molletes on a lightly greased baking sheet and bake for 10 to 15 minutes or just until the cheese has completely melted and started to bubble. Enjoy!