For this week's #SundaySupper theme, hosted by Tammi of Momma's Meals, we are going meatless. Personally, I couldn't be any happier because I'm always looking for new meatless recipes to serve during Lent for our meat-free Fridays.
The recipe I'm sharing today is one I make often, even when we're not observing Cuaresma (Lent). My favorite thing about these tacos, aside from their spicy and earthy flavor, is how incredibly easy they are to put together. All it takes is 3 ingredients: onion, mushrooms, and roasted poblano peppers. Recipes don't get much easier than that.
These tacos are so full of flavor, you won't even notice there isn't any meat in them.
Mushroom Poblano Tacos
- 3 poblano peppers
- 2 tablespoons olive or canola oil
- 1/2 medium white onion, sliced
- 16 oz. mushrooms, sliced
- Corn tortillas
- Pico de Gallo (optional)
- Crumbled queso fresco (optional)
Roast the poblano peppers on a comal or non-stick skillet over medium-high heat until completely blistered and charred all over. Place peppers in a plastic or paper bag and let sit for 10 minutes. (This allows the peppers to sweat, making them easier to peel.) Peel the charred skin from the peppers; remove the stems and seeds. Roughly chop the peppers; set aside.
Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the sliced onion and saute for 2 minutes. Stir in the chopped poblano peppers and sliced mushrooms, saute until fully cooked. Season with salt.
Spoon a couple tablespoons of filling onto center of warm corn tortillas. Top with Pico de Gallo and crumbled queso fresco. Enjoy!
For more delicious meatless meal ideas, check out this week's #SundaySupper line-up:
Salads, Soups, Stews and Starters
- Spicy Vegan Potato Salad by Killer Bunnies, Inc
- Veggie Salad Trio with Zucchini Noodles and Pesto by Hip Foodie Mom
- Olive Tapenade by MealDiva
- Chickpea Chile Soup with Greens and Grains by Shockingly Delicious
- Thai Coconut Curry Butternut Squash Soup by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Potato Chickpea Stew by The Not So Cheesy Kitchen
- 'Beef' Stew with Potato Cake Tops by Jane's Adventures in Dinner
- Mushroom and Wild Rice Soup by Cindy's Recipes and Writings
- Teriyaki Quinoa "Meatballs" by The Foodie Patootie
- Black Bean "Meatballs" with Marinara by Foxes Love Lemons
- Spicy Vegetarian Meatballs by Mess makes food
Pastas, Pizzas and Casseroles
- Zucchini and Mushroom Skillet Lasagna by Curious Cuisiniere
- Four Cheese Spinach Stuffed Shells by Melanie Makes
- Spicy Penne with Tomatoes and Havarti by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Cheesy Tomato Casserole by Bobbi's Kozy Kitchen
- Deconstructed Vegan “Lasagna” by What Smells So Good?
- Ramen Stir Fry by Ninja Baking
- Roasted Red Pepper Lasagna by Cravings of a Lunatic
- Broccolini Macaroni and Cheese by Family Foodie
- Sundried Tomato and Zucchini Pizza with Goat Cheese by Healthy. Delicious.
- Brussel Sprout, Garlic and Parmesan Pizza by Sustainable Dad
- Creamy Parmesan Mushroom and Leek Pasta by Neighborfood
- Roasted Veggie Manicotti by Hot Momma's Kitchen Chaos
- Pasta with Olives Piquant by The Texan New Yorker
- Pasta e Patate by Webicurean
- Spaghetti and Chickpeas in a Roasted Tomato Sauce by The Wimpy Vegetarian
- Ricotta Tomato Basil Pizza by Basic N Delicious
- Radicchio and Gorgonzola Tortelloni with Butter and Walnuts by Manu's Menu
- Quinoa blackbean burger with cilantro & ginger by Sue's Nutrition Buzz
- Garbanzo and Brown Rice Burgers by girlichef
- Tofu Burgers by Small Wallet, Big Appetite
Tacos & Everything Wrapped
- Blackened Tofu Tacos with Asian Slaw by Hezzi-D's Books and Cooks
- Mushroom & Poblano Tacos by La Cocina de Leslie
- Bean & Cheese Enchirito by Yours And Mine Are Ours
- Green Chile Enchiladas by Cookin' Mimi
- Sweet Potato and Black Bean Tacos by Casa de Crews
- Beet and Goat Cheese Tacos with Avocado Cream by The Girl In The Little Red Kitchen
- Black Bean and Avocado Flautas by Supper for a Steal
- Bean Spinach Quinoa Burritos by Alida's Kitchen
Other Main and Side Dishes
- Vegan, Gluten Free Breakfast Bars by Pies and Plots
- Mushroom and Lentil Cottage Pie by A Kitchen Hoor's Adventures
- Mediterranean Tomato Tart by Magnolia Days
- Lentil Stuffed Peppers by Peanut Butter and Peppers
- Fontina Polenta with Sauteed Porcini Mushrooms by La Bella Vita Cucina
- Leek and Zucchini Tarte Tatin by Food Lust People Love
- Tofu and Peas Curry (Tofu Matar) by Soni's Food
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. Check out our #SundaySupper Pinterest board for more fabulous recipes and food photos. Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.