Feliz Día del Padre! Today for #SundaySupper we're celebrating Father's Day. Since I happen to be married to one of the awesomest (yes, that a word in my dictionary) dads ever, I thought I'd share another of his all-time favorites...Chorizo Burgers!
But before I get into the recipe, I want to share a little something about my Hubby. Like I said, he's an amazing father and a wonderful husband, but he's what you'd call a picky eater. (At least that's what he thinks.) If prompted, he'll tell you he doesn't like cheese, pasta, seafood, chocolate, and a long list of other ingredients I can't remember at the moment. But at the very top of his list is...CHORIZO! (Gasp!) He's lucky we were already married when he shared that little tidbit of information. I couldn't believe my ears when he told me. How could he not like chorizo? I've been in love with the stuff since I first tasted it, way back when I was 4 years old. It's how I learned to speak Spanish!
It wasn't easy, but I was determined not to let this chorizo thing affect our marriage. We were newlyweds, which to me meant that I had a lifetime to change Hubby's mind about chorizo. After a few months of marriage, I started to notice something else about my Hubby. For a man who claimed to be such a picky eater, he sure spent a lot of time eating the very foods he claimed to not like, including chorizo.
Turns out Hubby's not as picky an eater after all! Which is great, because otherwise we may not have ever discovered these tasty Chorizo Burgers.
The base of this recipe is the Homemade Chorizo recipe from The Homesick Texan I shared a couple of years ago. Don't let the words "homemade chorizo" intimidate you. It's really not that hard to make. The hardest part, for me, is waiting for the chorizo to set overnight to allow the flavors to intensify. After that, all you have to do is shape the chorizo into patties, fry 'em up, top them with queso fresco and caramelized onions and you are good to go. And if you want an even tastier burger, try topping your Chorizo Burger with a fried egg. It is heaven on a hamburger bun!
Chorizo recipe from The Homesick Texan by Lisa Fink
For the chorizo:
For the burgers:
- 2 large onions, sliced
- Queso Fresco, Manchego cheese, or mild cheddar
- Hamburger buns
- Eggs (optional, but highly recommended)
In a small skillet over high heat, toast the dried chilies on each side for about 10 seconds. Fill the skillet with about 2 cups of water to cover the chilies. Bring the water to a boil, then turn off heat. Let the chilies soak for about 10 minutes or until really soft. Remove the stems and seeds from the chilies.
Puree the chilies in a blender with the onion, garlic, and 2 tablespoons of the apple cider vinegar, adding more vinegar if necessary. (The puree should be about the same consistency of ketchup.)
Add the chili puree to the ground pork, along with all of the spices and salt. Mix well. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for atleast one hour. (I recommend refrigerating the chorizo overnight, so the flavors have a chance to meld giving the chorizo a stronger, more intense flavor.)
Once your chorizo is made, but before you start on your burgers, let's caramelize some onions.
Heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a medium skillet over high heat. Add the onion and saute for about 2 minutes, stirring constantly. Reduce heat to low and continue cooking, stirring occasionally, until the onions have caramelized; set aside.
Now let's make some burgers!
Shape the chorizo into 6 patties. Heat 2 to 3 tablespoons of vegetable oil in a large skillet or griddle over medium heat. Brown the patties for 6 to 8 minutes on each side until completely cooked. Top each patty with a couple of slices of queso fresco.
Serve chorizo patties on a lightly toasted hamburger bun. Top with caramelized onions and a fried egg. Enjoy!!!
For more delicious Father's Day dishes, check out the #SundaySupper line-up.
Dad’s Favorite Main Dishes:
- Father’s Day Ribs by Jane’s Adventures in Dinner
- Chorizo Burgers by La Cocina de Leslie
- Whiskey Sliders by Cravings of a Lunatic
- Beer Can Chicken by Crazy Foodie Stunts
- Pesto Shrimp Roll Sandwich by Growing Up Gabel
- Cast Iron Filet Mignon with Wine Sauce by I Run For Wine
- Grilled Tilapia with Blueberry Mango Salsa by Runner’s Tales
- Chicken Wings for Dad by The Not So Cheesy Kitchen
- Fish with Black Bean Sauce by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Spaghetti with Homemade Meatballs by Curious Cuisiniere
- Tamale Pie Ring by Treats & Trinkets
- Grill-Roasted Chicken & Vegetables by Foxes Loves Lemons
- Grandma Papina’s Lamb Stew by Webicurean
- Barbecue Beans and Ribs by Food Lust People Love
- Skillet Meat Lasagna by Peanut Butter and Peppers
- Panko Crusted Snapper by Supper for a Steal
- Gluten Free Grilled Pork Chops by No One Likes Crumbley Cookies
- Boiled Shrimp for Father’s Day by The Catholic Foodie
- Dad’s Famous Baby Back Ribs by Family Foodie
- Turkey Stuffed Peppers by Ruffles & Truffles
- Lightened Up Fish Biriyani With Fresh Dill ! by Sue’s Nutrition Buzz
- Cauliflower, Potato, and Cheddar Pierogi by Healthy.Delicious
Dad’s Favorite Appetizers and Sides:
- Spicy Caramelized Bacon Wrapped Smoked Oysters by Noshing with the Nolands
- Tuna Pasta Salad ~ Dad’s Recipe by Juanita’s Cocina
- Grilled Bok Choy by Shockingly Delicious
- Bacon-Cheddar Potato Salad by Home Cooking Memories
- Couscous Tabbouleh by Soni’s Food
Dad’s Favorite Desserts
- Zabaglione with Fresh Berries by My Other City By the Bay
- Richest-Ever Chocolate Pound Cake by Gourmet Drizzles
- Dad’s Cheesecake by Table for 7
- Cheese Cracker by The Urban Mrs
- Coconut Cream Pie by Cookin’ Mimi
- Chewy Oat Cookies with a Banana Bread Influence by What Smells So Good?
- Homemade Nutter Butters by Pies and Plots
- Shoot for the Stars Chocolate Cupcakes by Ninja Baking
- Golden Coconut Bars by Magnolia Days
- Classic Oatmeal Raisin Cookies by NeighborFood
- Velvet Cookies by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Pecan pie by Small Wallet Big Appetite
Come celebrate Father’s day with the Sunday Supper Team! We would love to have you join our Twitter #SundaySupper chat starting at 7:00 pm EST. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag throughout the day to see the amazing recipes. We look forward to seeing you. To join all you need to do is follow the#SundaySupper hashtag and share your favorite tips and recipes. Be sure to check out our #SundaySupper Pinterest board for more delicious recipes and photos.
*Disclaimer: This post contains an Amazon Affiliates link. If you click on the link and purchase something from Amazon, I earn a small percentage.