Spicy Chicken & Rice Soup is one that my grandfather prepared often. It's very similar to my Caldo de Pollo recipe, with the addition of two very simple ingredients. One is rice and the other is Salsa El Pato.
Salsa El Pato is a cross between a salsa and a tomato sauce. Not too spicy and so full of flavor. It helps turn an ordinary soup into something extraordinary!
Spicy Chicken & Rice Soup
- 2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breast, cut in large chunks
- 8 cups water
- 1 medium onion, peeled and quartered
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 can Salsa El Pato
- 4 medium carrots, peeled and cut in large chunks
- 4 medium potatoes, peeled and cut in large chunks
- 2 zucchini, cut in large chunks
- 1 teaspoon chicken bouillon
- 1/3 cup long-grain rice, uncooked
Place the chicken, water, onion, garlic and a sprig of cilantro in 3-quart stockpot. Season with salt and pepper. Cook over medium-high heat for 30 minutes.
Pour in the can of Salsa El Pato.
Add the vegetables and chicken bouillon. Season with more salt and pepper. Continue to cook over medium-high heat for 30 to 40 minutes.
Add the uncooked rice and let cook for an additional 10 minutes or until the rice is completely cooked.
Serve with plenty of warm corn tortillas or Maseca Corn Bread. Enjoy!!!
More delicious soups you might love:
Cocido Rojo (Mexican Beef Stew)
Mole de Olla